It occurred to me recently that I had never really covered the basics of not only what Genetically Modified Foods are, but perhaps more importantly how foods are modified and the dangers involved. The 7 minute clip below does a great job of covering the basics. Rant will commence after the clip. Say hello to your friend E. Coli.
Unsurprisingly, Joanna Zelman reported for Huffington Post that:
“Recent research claims that Monsanto’s Roundup Ready genetically modified crops contain an organism, previously unknown to science, that can cause miscarriages in farm animals. This disturbing find comes on the heels of Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack’s decision to deregulate Roundup Ready Alfalfa (RRA). Roundup Ready is designed to survive Roundup, Monsanto’s weed-killing chemical.”
So, now plants are so modified that they can kill animals. Fantastic. Suddenly, this story that I wrote for “Fiction Friday” doesn’t seem far-fetched or possibly even that far off.
Heinz announced that it will adopt Coca Cola’s plant-based plastic bottle tech for its iconic ketchup. Right now that technology results in a container that is 30% plant-based and 70% oil based. I’d be a lot happier and much more excited if the percentages were switched. And even though this falls into the ‘good food news’ category (barely) Coca Cola is still on my shit list.
- Monsanto’s Roundup Ready Crops Contain Organism Causing Animal Miscarriages, Scientist Says (huffingtonpost.com)
- New Research Finds That Roundup Ready GMO Crops May Cause Animal Miscarriages (treehugger.com)
- Is Monsanto’s Roundup Herbicide Causing Miscarriages in Animals? (news.change.org)
- Big Win for Biotech: USDA Deregulates Monsanto Alfalfa – truthout (news.google.com)
- Monsanto Shifts ALL Liability to Farmers (ppjg.wordpress.com)
- Why are genetically modified foods controversial in Europe? (greenanswers.com)
- Bittman: Why Aren’t G.M.O. Foods Labeled? (huffingtonpost.com)